Instructor: Jim Leake 309 Transportation (217) 244-0401 firstname.lastname@example.org
Head Teaching assistant: Likhith Madamanchi
Teaching assistants: Ninad Sancheti, Joanna Batmunkh, Kaushik Krishnan
Course structure: Credit hours three
(Credit & contact hours)
Lecture twice a week for one-hour period
Modeling Lab once a week for two-hour period
Sketching Lab once a week for one-hour period
Engineering Design Graphics: Sketching, Modeling, and Visualization, 2nd edition, Leake and Borgerson
BIM Handbook, 2nd edition, Chuck Eastman et al. (reference)
Illinois Compass (http://compass.illinois.edu)
Autodesk design community (www.autodesk.com/education)
Revit Architecture 2016 Essential Training, Paul Aubin, Lynda.com
Revit Structure 2016 Essential Training, Eric Wing, Lynda.com
Portable storage device (USB flash device or portable HD)
Mechanical pencils – 0.5, 0.7 mm
Software: Autodesk Revit 2016, SketchUp 2016, PlanGrid
Dimension SST 1200 3D printer
iPad Air tablets
Z Corp 700 handheld laser scanner
Microscribe G2X digitizer
Wacom Cintiq 21ux interactive pen display
HP T1100ps 44″ DesignJet Printer
30% 2 Written exams
20% 2 Modeling exams
20% Design project
18% Lab assignments (modeling, sketching)
12% Miscellaneous (sketch portfolio, quizzes, assignments)
- To develop spatial visualization and reasoning skills.
- To gain familiarity with the standards and conventions of engineering design graphics.
- To use building information modeling (BIM) software as a design, visualization, and information extraction tool. Emphasis placed upon learning BIM concepts and techniques.
- To gain exposure to other BIM tools (e.g., for concept design, field work, analysis) commonly used in the building modeling process.
- To develop sketching skills using pencil and paper, and digital tablets.
- To introduce engineering design methodology, and to demonstrate the role of graphics in the engineering design process.
- To provide insight into the product design process, in particular as it relates to the architecture and functionality of the product.